Protect Your Home From Ants
Where to Use: Anywhere ants go to find food: pantries, cupboards, kitchens, basements, or places you would like to prevent them from entering.
How it Works: Ants are very particular about the foods they collect and carry back to their colonies. Stay Away® Ants pouches, placed where food particles are present, keeps them out of the treated area by emitting a scent pleasant to people, but offensive to super-sensitive ants.
Watch how it works here:
Why it Works: Our proven blend of lemongrass, peppermint, and thyme targets ants’ olfactory receptors and causes them to find treated areas as unpalatable. Foraging ants will not want to bring food from treated areas back to their colony, or lead their colony to treated areas because the scent is offensive to them.
How Much Do I Need: Use one pouch per cupboard or small space; two pouches per large pantry. Increase the number of pouches as needed until desired results are obtained and replace when the scent has diminished (usually 30-60 days).
Proving nature can do it better
EarthKind® has been doing this for years. A startling experience with a field mouse in a farm truck back in the 90’s got Kari Warberg Block thinking about how to handle this all too common and natural problem of mice on the farm. She realized that trapping, poisoning, or otherwise killing the mice wasn’t really the best way to deal with the problem, and decided to create a natural way to keep mice away before they became a problem.
After solving mouse problems, she realized that the pest control industry as a whole seems stuck on the idea of using chemicals and killing pests. Doesn’t it make more sense to deter pests before they become a problem? Isn’t there a better, safer, and more effective way to get rid of pests like mice, ants, moths and spiders? The answer is a resounding, “YES!”
Know Thy Enemy
Ants aren’t necessarily our enemy, they have an important role to play in nature. That is part of the reason we don’t want to kill them with toxic chemicals. However, when ants make their way into people’s homes, it can feel like a battle.
While the only ant in North America that stings people is the fire ant, ants do invade and infest areas where food or moisture is present in overwhelming numbers. Knowing what attracts ants will make it easier to deter them.
- Any type of food including starches, sweets, fats, meat and pet food.
- Any water source such dish water left in sinks, leaking pipes, or pet water that is constantly available.
- Honeydew, a sweet liquid produced by aphids and scale insects which feed on trees, shrubs, and other plants.
- Living or dead insects.
Ants are usually seen travelling in large numbers, single file, so it is easy to follow that line and find their nest. Indoors, ants may nest in walls, behind a baseboard or under the house. Often ant trails enter through a crack but the nest may be some distance away. Some ants may also nest in decayed or rotting wood in the house.
Don’t Invite Ants In
Once you know what ants like and how they are getting in or where they like to live, you can make your home less appealing to them. We recommend a 3 step plan to get rid of ants:
- Clean up: Keep kitchen and pantry areas clean; wipe off counters and tables, sweep, and store food in sealed containers. Don’t allow moisture to accumulate, remember to always drain the sink promptly, and fix any leaky plumbing.
- Seal up: Watch ant activity to see where they are coming from and seal any openings with caulk to prevent their entry.
- Pouch up: Use Stay Away® Ants pouches wherever ant activity has been seen. One pouch should suffice in small areas such as pantries or cupboards; more may be necessary in larger areas or in places with high rates of air exchange. Replace pouches every 30 days or when the scent is no longer noticeable.
Choosing to get rid of ants naturally will not only protect your home and family from this pesky pest, but also from the harmful chemicals typically associated with pest control. You can feel confident that you are doing what is best for your family and the environment, and that you will be free from ants.
*not available for shipping to NM.