Winter Cleaning & Pest Prevention Tips – Checklist
Cleaning, tidying, and decluttering is one of the best ways to prevent pests. As the cold weather rolls in, rodents search for warm escapes from the elements. Mice love crawling into tiny crevices, and making winter homes in attics, basements, garages, and even pantries and cupboards. Rodents often seek shelter in cars, snowblowers, and other machinery, chewing through wires while they’re there—causing costly damage. Your home might be more susceptible to pantry moths around holiday baking season—these critters love to eat flour, grains, dried fruits, and nuts. And spiders are known to hide away inside the tubing of gas grills. Not only is that thought distasteful, their webs can cause a burner blockage and a fire hazard.
Thankfully, it’s never been easier to repel all of these pests and continually keep them away!
This Winter-Tidying Checklist contains simple tips to help you safeguard your property and equipment.
- Ensure all human & pet food is in airtight, sealed containers. Place a Stay Away® Moths pouch in your food-storage area to repel pantry moths.
- Fill in tiny openings outside or in the corners of your home with steel wool & silicone caulking to keep mice out. Any spaces the size of or larger than a dime should be filled.
- Place a natural rodent repellent like Stay Away® Rodent in your basement, attic, closet, pantry, or anywhere else rodent or rodent droppings have been noticed.
- Recycle any newspaper or cardboard boxes from the holidays. Bugs such as silverfish, cockroaches, & termites feast on paper products.
- When storing holiday decorations for the season, place a Stay Away® Spiders pouch in the box to prevent arachnids from moving in.
- Vacuum spider webs—look near windows, closets, attics, or crawl spaces—& prevent those 8-legged critters from coming back by placing Stay Away® Spiders in those areas.
- If you use rodent traps or poisons, replace them with a rodent repellent like Stay Away® Rodent.
- Thoroughly clean your barbeque & place a zipper cover on it. Spiders are attracted to the odor of propane so put a Stay Away® Spiders pouch inside the cover to prevent these 8-legged critters from nesting in your grill.
- Rodents often nest in snow blowers, lawnmowers, & other electrical tools. Protect your equipment from pests by placing Stay Away® Rodent pouches inside or near machinery.
- Vacuum your vehicle, wash floor mats, & dispose of anything in your glove compartment or trunk you no longer need. Clutter can attract spiders.
- If you have a vehicle in storage, place a Stay Away® Rodent pouch under the hood to keep pests away from electrical wires. Remember to remove the pouch before operating the vehicle.
- Prevent rodents from inhabiting vehicles you’re currently driving my placing Stay Away® Rodent pouches in the glove compartment & trunk.
- EarthKind pest repellent pouches can also keep rodents, spiders, & moths from infesting RV’s, trailers, boats, & motorcycles.
- Undisturbed garages are especially vulnerable to infestations in the winter. Clean up as much clutter as you can, ensure there are no sources of water or food for pests, & place the necessary EarthKind repellents inside to keep pests away.
For more simple pest prevention tips, information, and special offers, subscribe to EarthKind’s newsletter.