No one seems to like spiders, but we wanted to give the house spider a chance to defend himself. Imagine for a moment if you will, that instead of stomping on a spider, you were reading about one in the pages of your favorite magazine -- finding out all of his likes, dislikes, and exactly what makes this amazing arachnid tick.
About me (Parasteatoda tepidariorum)
- Peace and quiet -- I am non-confrontational by nature.
- Secluded spaces -- I am happiest and most effective when I’m all alone and no one knows I’m here.
- Ignorant insects -- I’d much rather sit and wait for bumbling bugs to run into my web than for me to have to go out and catch my dinner.
- Moisture -- A little goes a long way, but water is essential.
- Action -- I don’t like a lot of coming and going, loud noises, or bright lights.
- Cleanliness is NOT next to godliness -- I completely disagree with all of those clean freaks out there! A little dirt never hurt, and neither did a bug or two.
- Weird smells -- I don’t actually have a nose; I use the hairs on my legs to detect smells. But if my legs pick up a funky scent, I hightail it outta there!
- Intruders -- I'm a lover, not a fighter, but if something startles me or gets a little too close for comfort, I'm going to bite it.
- Hiding -- I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, laying low is what I live for!
- Providing natural pest control -- Some people call me a pest, but they have no idea how many bugs I snag in my web. I don't even charge for this service, just do it out of the goodness of my heart.
- Flying -- I don’t have as much control over this as I’d like, but it’s super fun! I just spin a strand of silk and when it catches the wind, I enjoy the ride. This is how I found my own territory after I hatched from my mom’s egg sac, and how I look for greener pastures if my current locale doesn’t offer a bug buffet.
What I’m looking for:
I can make my home almost anywhere. I do like temperate places with a little humidity. Getting in is easy -- I can squeeze through the smallest of openings, or just hitchhike on a box or bag you bring inside. I’ll only stay if there are fresh insects to eat though.
What I’m NOT looking for:
I’m not an old fuddy duddy, but I don’t like a lot of action. The best way to catch some unsuspecting bugs is by sitting still and quiet. If you have a lot of activity in the area, or maintain a pest free home, I just won’t feel at ease. The truth is, we work better together, you and I -- you let the bugs in, I eat’em up -- but if you’re not a team player, I’ll just go find a new place to hang out.
**Editor's note: House spiders aren’t out to cause anyone any problems, but if sharing your space with a spider is just too creepy for you, earthkind® has a guaranteed effective, natural solution: Stay Away® Spiders.